Tola Oshobi SAN.
Tola Oshobi (SAN), partner, Babalakin and Co. (B & C), and Head, Litigation and Dispute Resolution Group was recently conferred with the prestigious rank of the Senior Advocate of Nigeria on Monday, 18th September, 2017. The latest Silk in town joins his two other Seniors in the Firm in the inner bar – Dr. Bolanle Olawale Babalakin (SAN) and Mr. Wale Akoni (SAN).
On Friday, 17th November, 2017, B & C organised a glorious dinner in honour of the Learned Silk for his diligence, dedication and impeccable loyalty at Civic Centre, Victoria Island, Lagos. Many dignitaries from all works of life were present to honour this amiable gentleman and his Firm for achieving this great feat.
Dr. Abiodun Layonu SAN, Tola Oshobi SAN and Stephen Azubuike at the dinner.
Dr. Babalakin SAN and Stephen Azubuike at the dinner.
Mr. Oshobi is an embodiment of all the qualities of a legal practitioner deserving of the elevation. In this Special Feature of Stephen Legal Blog, we bring you Mr. Oshobi’s outstanding pedigree.
Education and Qualifications
- LL.B (Hons.) University of Ibadan
- BL, Nigerian Law School.
- Litigation and Dispute Resolution
- Real Estate
- Infrastructure and Construction
The Learned Silk has been involved in several notable cases and projects. Among these are:
- He advised a major multinational oil company in an extra-jurisdictional suit over a dispute with host communities involving a multi-billion dollar claim.
- Currently representing an integrated Oil and Gas company in respect of a multi-million dollar multi-jurisdictional matter, which arose from the construction of a crude oil export terminal.
- Acted as Counsel in a US$33 million claim arising from an engineering, procurement and construction contract for the construction of a petroleum products depot and the associated infrastructure.
- Acted as Counsel in a US$54 million claim arising from an engineering, procurement and construction contract for the dredging and upgrading of navigational facilities along a river channel to facilitate marine transportation of petroleum products.
- Advised and acted as senior counsel to a Special Presidential Committee set up by the Federal Government of Nigeria to investigate and recover lost revenue on import duties arising from under-invoicing of imported goods. This work led to the recovery of over US$250 million by the Federal Government of Nigeria.
- Worked with a team of solicitors in the Firm, to extract a 95% reduction in the assessed tax liability of a major American Multi-National Corporation after a leading international audit and tax consultant had advised that the corporation was liable for the Best of Judgment assessment due to its failure to challenge the assessment promptly. The team’s intervention led to parties executing terms of settlement.
- Led the team responsible for advisory, documentation, perfection of title and litigation in respect of the largest and most successful private residential/commercial real estate development project in Nigeria.
- Heads the group acting as Lead Legal Consultants to the Federal Government of Nigeria on the sale of Federal Landed Property throughout Nigeria. The project has so far, involved the sale of over US$300 million worth of real property.
- The Learned Silk was responsible for designing a process that radically reduced the time for perfecting title to land in Lagos State by cutting out much of the red-tape. The Lagos State Government adopted the process for the perfection of title of some allottees in a residential estate developed by one of the Firm’s client as a pilot scheme and following its success extended the scheme to the whole State.
- In 2008, he represented the Nigerian Electricity Regulatory Commission before the House of Representatives Committee on Finance on their fiscal obligations to the Federal Government of Nigeria.
- Advised one of the major International Oil Companies at a hearing before the National Assembly on a petition submitted by some of the oil producing communities in the Niger-Delta.
- Since 2008, he advised the concessionaire of a road concession transaction with the Federal Government of Nigeria. He negotiated the concession agreement of what is notably the first concession agreement of a Federal Highway in Nigeria and is currently advising the concessionaire on the financing of the project.
- Between 2009 and 2010, the Learned Silk advised the Joint Committee of the House of Representatives on the Petroleum Industry Bill. In this capacity, he reviewed all existing laws and regulations in the Nigerian energy sector, the Nigerian Energy Policy and the Nigerian Oil and Gas Policy. He is also a member of the team of legal consultants to the Federal Government on the implementation of aspects of the Gas Master Plan.
- Currently, he is advising a client that won a multi-million dollars concession from a State Government to develop a major international market with an integrated commercial, industrial and residential complex.
- The Learned Senior Advocate is also currently advising the Nigerian partner in an International Joint Venture for the development of major solid mineral mining project in Nigeria, on all aspects of the prospecting, development and financing of the project.
Click here for more.
Big Congratulations to him.